Inspiring Connections with Nature
Cultivating a lifelong conservation ethic through exploration, observation, science, and artistic expression.
Conservation for the Whole Community
Today the amount of time both kids and adults spend outside is alarmingly low — only minutes per day — while screen time is at an all-time high. Pepperwood has set a new goal to stem the tide and find ways to connect children, youth, and adults with the outdoors and the wonder and awe that nature inspires. Abundant research shows that more time spent in nature leads to improved emotional well being, a healthier lifestyle, and a drive to conserve natural landscapes. This timely initiative creates space for children, youth, and adults of diverse backgrounds to actively engage with the outdoors, learn about the natural world, and be inspired to protect nature and live sustainably.
“Being in Nature is more essential now than ever. Wild, outdoor spaces soothe the soul and tend to the weariness we feel with everyday news. Pepperwood offers a diversity of landscapes as well as educational opportunities to learn about that diversity.”
– Eleanor Guerin, Pepperwood Steward & Donor
Our Approach: Inspiring Connections With Nature
We aim to connect people with nature and inspire a lifelong conservation ethic through exploration, observation, science, and artistic expression.
– Provide quality nature-based programming for all ages through educational field trips, summer youth institutes, family-oriented outdoor experiences, and community education classes and retreats.
– Expand bilingual (Spanish-English) science programming while increasing outreach to traditionally marginalized communities.
– Sponsor career-building internships for junior college students.
– Forge partnerships with performing and visual artists and arts organizations to expand ways for our community to engage with the land.